Sunday, October 23, 2011

Water Marbleing Made Easy..





I'm going to post a link showing how to do this one because seeing a video is much easier than me describing how to do this one. But I will give you a few helpful tips that made this much easier for me. --> Click Here To Watch The Video The designs above are mine but the video is not.

*This design takes a little bit of time, because you have to make a new design for every finger. So it can be time consuming and a bit irritating in the beginning to get the designs just right.

  • Use bottled water at room temperature it works much better than tap water.
  • Pour the water into a small plastic bowl (that you wont mind ruining with polish).
  • If you have trouble with getting the polish to spread out and stick to your bowl, empty it out,  dry it, and use nail polish to paint a ring around the inside of the bowl (to the same level the water will be at) let dry and refill the bowl (this gives the polish something to grab to).
  • Experiment with polishes to see which work best for you. Some dry on top of the water to quick, some wont spread out well, and some don't stay true to the color they were. I've found OPI, and China Glaze work well. However large glitter polishes don't work so great. I also tried a few 99 cent polishes from Walmart, they didn't work at all.
  • Use a tooth pick to gently make your designs after you make your bulls eye like showed in the video. 
  • Clean the toothpick regularly while making the design. If the polish lumps on the toothpick it will rip a hole in your design and you'll have to start over.
  • Use a base coat on your nail like OPI Alpine Snow.
  • Taping around the nail with scotch tape help make clean up ALOT faster. Or you can use a Kolinsky nail brush ( Qtips work well to, orangewood stick wrapped in cotton, or paint brush from a craft store) dipped in acetone to clean up after you dip your finger.
  • When you dip your finger make sure you have it on the part of the design you want to see on your nail, and then clean the rest of the design by swirling a toothpick around to remove the rest of the polish from the top of the water and around your finger.

2 comments:

  1. I'm hoping to find the time to try this tonight. I bought cheap little plastic bowls to use for it. I'll post pics if I don't completely screw it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely screwed it up. LOL!!! POST SOMETHING!!!!!! Or come over and tell me wtf I'm doing wrong on water marbling. It just would not work for me. I think it may have been because our furnace wasn't working right and the house was chilly. I may give it one more try. I'm driven because it is pretty.

    ReplyDelete